Who We Serve
SOS Outreach collaborates with over 150 youth agencies, schools, and afterschool programs in order to target and recruit the youth who will benefit most from the structure and consistency of the curriculum. The SOS target population includes youth ages 8-18 who face a variety of risk factors. During the registration process, parents or teachers complete a participant assessment form that identifies the social, academic and economic factors that identify their child as a good fit for SOS programs.
Partner youth agencies include Boys & Girls Clubs, School Districts, Counseling Services, and other agencies that serve at-risk youth. Partnering with youth agencies allows those agencies to take the lessons learned from SOS, the core values, and experiences into to a participant’s daily life.
SOS served 4722 youth during the 2012 program year, and saw the following demographic breakdown of participants:
- 67% reported having a household income of less than $40,000 per year.
- 64% of participants identified as ethnic minority.
- Gender: 59% Male, 41% Female
- 53% of participants had no health insurance or were enrolled in Medicaid.
- 40% of participants were from non-two adult households.
If you are a teacher or otherwise work with underserved youth and are interested in getting involved with SOS, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call SOS at 970.926.9292.