CHICAGO & KENOSHA AT WILMOT MOUNTAIN
During the 17-18 season, SOS Outreach launched its Learn to Ride program with 17 participants. With the incredible impact witnessed after a few seasons, there was a clear need for the multi-year Mentor program. Thanks to funding from the Katz Amsterdam Foundation and support from Vail Resorts Epic Promise, the mentor program was implemented during the 22-23 season with 136 kids and teens enrolled from the Chicago/Kenosha area.
OUR IMPACT IN 2023
felt like they were an important part of a team
hours participating in workshops or community service
“Last year was fun and I love that I’m getting an opportunity again. This year, I want to go on the big hill by myself because SOS taught me to believe in myself and I don’t have to be scared.”
LEARN TO RIDE
Kids learn a new outdoor activity and the importance of our six core values: courage, discipline, integrity, wisdom, humility, and compassion.
With the support of a dedicated mentor, participants continue outdoor activities, grow tangible life skills, perform community service, and put the core values to practice with peer groups.
HIGH SCHOOL & BEYOND
Youth have opportunities to apply the skills they’ve developed by engaging as Junior Mentors, with the Career Development Program and with the organization’s Alumni Network.
- November 14 | 6-8pm | Meet and Greet | Kenosha Tap House
- November 15 | 6-8pm | Meet and Greet | Goose Island Brewery (Chicago)
- Expanding Mentorship on the Midwest Slopes
- Kenosha News: Kenosha Unified Fourth-Graders Hit the Slopes With Jockey and SOS Outreach at Wilmot Mountain
- Kenosha.com: Brass Community School Teacher Helps Give Local Students an Opportunity to Learn Downhill Skiing
- Kenosha News: Kenosha Area Students Celebrate Accomplishments Made On & Off the Slopes with SOS Outreach
- TMJ4 News: Kenoshan of the Week: Terri McGuire
YOUTH AGENCY PARTNERS
Brass Elementary School
Frank Elementary School
Lincoln Middle School
Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha
Union League Boys & Girls Club